Rosette Ministry

Rosette Ministry
Christy Krezman

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

There's always, always, always something to be thankful for!

I've always known to take captive my thoughts and focus on the positive side of things despite my circumstance.  Knowing and actually doing is the key to having hope through tough times.  It's also one of the hardest things to do.  This past week has proved itself to be full of different circumstances for myself as well as for close friends and family members.  I found myself repurposing words over and over and over again.  Then one evening I got alone with my Lord and called out to Him, asking the 'Why?' questions that so many of us do in times that are hard for us to understand.  Of course, He proved Himself gentle and true with His answers that evening and for the rest of the week.

We live in a world that focuses on satisfying ME.  It's all about ME.  Whatever makes ME happy.  This is the wrong way of the ME mentality.  It's the selfish ME.  So, it's easy to look at others and magnify flaws in them to edify ourselves, taking the focus off of ourselves..."If only he'd do this, then I'd be happier."  "If only my friends treated me like I treat them!"  "If only I had support from others I'd be able to exercise more and be in better shape." "He/She doesn't listen to me at home but this gal/guy does so I'm gonna hang out with her/him."  This is passing the buck.  Looking at the downside of things. Making excuses. Not looking where we need to be looking. We can not change anyone except ourselves. If we don't start the change, who will?

We also have a tendency to feel sorry for ourselves for what we have to go through.  The 'Why me?' scenario. We think that nobody else has problems.  Life is all good for everybody else.  We tend to compare our worst to every one elses best and wonder why we fall short.  We are defeated in our minds. We quit before we even get started. God has such faith in you that you are capable of enduring this circumstance in which you are placed that He is growing you to get you to where you need to be. There is success in trials.  It trains you. Equips you and makes you wise.  So the question needs to be, "Why not me?"

Let me tell you, there is Hope!  His name is Jesus Christ!  What is mentioned above is not how He desires for you to live.  John 10:10 says, "I came so that you may have life and live it more abundantly." You are not living an abundant life if you are living with wavering, doubtful thoughts, even for just a season.  Christ desires for you to live abundantly and He equips you with all that you need at every given moment that you need it.  All you need to do is Trust and Obey.  Step out in Faith knowing that what He is leading you to and through for a greater Plan and Purpose in your life.

People of faith are called to go on journey's that are very treacherous at times.  These journey's consists of hikes through dense jungles, mountainous climbs and dry desert flatland's.  Every step that we take on these journey's we take in faith because we know not of how each of our steps will land.  Will it land on solid ground or will it be mushy muck where you sink for a bit to your ankles, knees or even your neck?  When you're trekking along and branches and twigs are swiping you, pesky insects nipping at you and little pebbles stub your toes, be thankful because you don't see how Christ is holding back the ginormous Redwoods, the enormous boulders, and the wildlife that is on the hunt for you.  He is paving the way for us and we don't see it because far too often we are too busy griping about being injured by the "branch" that hit us across the face or the small stone that stubbed our toe!  When we come to ragging waters, let me tell you friend, Christ carries you. He scoops you up like a mother does a newborn babe.  Isaiah 41:10 gives us a promise, "Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."  He's doing all of that for us, we have just got to recognize that, trust Him for that and thank Him for that.

It is so easy to be happy-go-lucky when things in life seem to be going alright.  Life is great, so-to-speak.  Nothing awful is in my life.  But are you thankful?  Thankful everyday?  There is at least one thing to be thankful for everyday.  Are your thanking your Creator God for that?  Thanking God for things in your life despite what is happening in your life will lead to Joy.  Who doesn't want to have Joy?  Happiness and Joy are very different.   Sorrow and Joy can coexist. .  God is Sovereign.  He doesn't change.  He is the author of Joy.  He is the Creator of today.  "This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

So, back to taking my thoughts captive. It really does start in your mind. What you give thought to, you react to.  Where you invest, you will find growth - whether negative or positive, bad or good.  Years ago, an exercise that I did to help me take my negative thoughts captive was to jot down the negative thought in a notebook.  After I did that I wrote five positives that countered that negative.  So for every negative I had five positives.  For example, I found myself complaining about the valley heat. I jotted down "I'm so stinkin hot I think I'm going to melt. I wish we had a built in pool!"  Five positives, 1. I have a lovely home with shaded trees and lush landscaping. 2. My home is equipped with a working air-conditioner.
3. I have a sunk-in tub that I can fill with cool water and relax in to cool off.  4. I have multiple friends that have a built in pool that have extended invitations over for swimming. 5. I'm alive to be able to feel the heat.
It kinda puts things into perspective.  This example was on a lighter note.  I have done this in my relationships as well as with keeping myself in check.  It works!!

Another way to train your heart to be thankful is to keep a thankful journal.  Simple.  Every evening simply jot down at least one thing you were thankful for that day.  "Lord, I am thankful for..."  The first few days may barely be words like, 'being alive, breathing, the sun, etc.' by a couple of weeks of routinely doing this, you may have one page per night of thankfulness!  Praise God!!

I want to encourage you to look up into your Heavenly Father's face and let Him be all that you need for that moment.  Thank Him for His love and mercy.   Let me leave you with a wonderful work of art that He displayed yesterday that I was absolutely thankful for having the opportunity to witness.

"Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer." Romans 12:12 ESV


Take care and be blessed,

Christy Krezman

No comments:

Post a Comment